Using the Avenza PDF Maps app, available through the Apple App Store, you can purchase our new maps for $4.99 each and use them directly on your device!
The PDF Maps app includes a number of interactive features that allow you to use our trail maps like never before. Each map is a geospatial PDF, or a PDF that contains geospatial information such as real world location. For example, you can pinpoint your real-time location on a map (if your device is GPS enabled), mark waypoints of interest, geotag photos, measure distances, and much more!
to learn more about the app from Avenza Systems, Inc. You can even use your maps off-line in areas without mobile coverage, since the maps are downloaded to your device and can be used anytime!
Introduction: What is the PDF Maps app?
PDF Maps is an award-winning, free map app from Ave
nza Systems Inc., a company recognized worldwide as a leader in map development software. The app is currently available on Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) and is a powerful geospatial PDF reader that allows you to easily download and interact with maps in new and exciting ways. The Avenza map store within the app gives you access to thousands of maps from around the world, from outdoor recreation maps to city transit maps. This "iTunes for maps" includes free maps as well as maps available for purchase. The West Michigan Trails and Greenways Coalition is a vendor in this map store and has made a selection of trail maps available through the PDF Maps app.
How do I get trail maps on my smartphone or tablet?
Follow these 5 easy steps to get trail maps on your device:
1. Download and install the free PDF Maps app from the Apple App Store or iTunes.
- Search for "Avenza PDF Maps" in the Apple App Store on your mobile device.
- PDF Maps requires iOS 4.0 or later running on an iPhone 3GS or better, 3rd generation iPod Touch or better, or any iPad.
2. Once installed on your device, Use the Store tab (bottom center) and search (the Search function is accessed by tapping the top right Magnifiying Glass button) for a map of interest by name or use the “Find Maps Around Me” on the app. You will notice our maps available for purchase on your devices screen.
3. Tap on a map to view a preview and description.
- Maps available for purchase can be downloaded through an in-app purchase using your Apple iTunes account. Tap the price, and then 'Buy Now' (you may be prompted for your iTunes account password).
- Free maps can be downloaded directly by tapping 'Free' and then 'Install Now'.
- Your device must be connected to the internet (local wi-fi or cell signal) to download maps.
4. Once the map is downloaded and extracted, the app will switch to the Maps Library, and your new map will appear in your Map Library.
5. Tap on the map to open it and start using the map!
Where can I find additional information about the app?
What trail maps are currently available through the PDF Maps app and the Avenza Map Store?
You can find our maps for sale by searching for the titles you see here (tap the magnifying glass in the map store to search) or by looking in the Tourist or Recreation categories on the app.
The following maps can be found in the map store:
- Fred Meijer Berry Junction Trail
- Fred Meijer Kenowa Trail
- Fred Meijer M-6 Trail
- Fred Meijer Standale Trail
- Fred Meijer Flat River Trail
- Beeline Trail
- The Millennium Park Trail Hub
- Fred Meijer Heartland Trail – Greenville to Edmore
- Fred Meijer Heartland Trail – Edmore to Alma
- Fred Meijer White Pine Trail – Comstock Park to Howard City
- Fred Meijer White Pine Trail – Howard City to Reed City
- Fred Meijer White Pine Trail – Reed City to Cadillac
- Paul Henry/Thornapple River Trail
- Musketawa Trail – Muskegon to Ravenna
- Musketawa Trail – Ravenna to Grand Rapids
- Lakeshore Trail - Ottawa County, MI
- Kent Trails- Byron Center to Grand Rapids, MI
- Hart-Montague Trail State Park
- Kal-Haven Trail State Park – South Haven to Gobles
- Kal-Haven Trail State Park – Gobles to Kalamazoo
- The Kalamazoo River Valley Trail
- Van Buren Trail State Park